Wednesday, January 14, 2009

McWire - plastics done: Part 3

Today i finished off the plastics...
I counter sunk all the bearing arms.
Used prit to glue all the stage stickers on then used the clear tape on the edges so that the drilling & jigsaw cutting wouldn't lift the sticker. I made this observations a bit too late... when drilling, just use the weight of the drill as the downward force, if you apply pressure to the drill while drilling perspex... it snaps/shears!
Here you can see the jigsaw fastened under the chip wood, & the chip wood clamped to the ironing board. I trimmed of the exes perspex from the vertical base & Z stage, there was s strip on the Y satge... i can't remember about the X stage. However... this method of cutting long pieces of perspex worked really well. My Dad poped in & suggested a guide rails srewed into the chip wood because i was drifting a bit... but i don't thing I drifted a significat amount...
Good advice thou...
Stuck all the PTFE bearing stickers on & used a heavy duty scissors to cut them to size. Then drilled them & pealed off the stickers.
There we go... all the plastic done...

I'm still waiting for the springs, skate bearings & nails - we might use screws that have a 90 degree bend in them already... the ones used to hang keys on... instead of the nail method...

I recieved the aluminium today. I will cut it to size... as soon as i convert all the sized to the METRIC system... I still need to suggest to the reprap team to put all measurments in imperial & metric... some of the drill & screw sizes sound rediculous... like this... 6 and 3/3 inches... & 5/16" compaired to say 220mm & 45mm... the metric system just sounds more human... water freezes at 0 (ZERO) degrees & boils at 100 degrees... not 32 & 212 or what ever its is in the imperial system... In anycase... I thought the international standard for measurements was the metric system. SI = Metric!

No comments: