Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Drill Press

This past weekend my Dad found an old drill press hidden away in the hardware. It's from 1613BC & weighs 6 tons. (It took me about 20min to clean it from all the dust) Its a manual drill press! You have to wind a handle to make it work! There are two speeds! slow & very slow! I attempted to drill ~150 holes for the arduino board using this drill press. Take a look at the raw power in the video!

I tried to drill a hole... Broke the first bit on the first try! The chuck comes down with too much force & when the pit hits the fiber glass it snaps! This was with a 1mm bit! I put a new bit in & tried to control the decent a bit better. I then realised that if I let go the handle, the momentum from the top piece of spinning metal at the top, is enough to make the handle swing round with enough force to knock teeth out! I got fed up very quickly with this... It just wasn't going to work!
This how ever was! :) Its a Ryobi drill press, with 5 speeds & a 13mm chuck! Cost me R450! It was a demo model at some other hardware & they wanted to get rid of it... & I wanted it!

Here you can see it in action! I didn't set the bit in the chuck 100% so it wobbled a bit... I just wanted to test it out & drill some holes! Works like a dream! (& yes, when I drill proper boards I will have 1 hand holding the PCB & 1 on the acent/decent leaver so the PCB wont spin!)

1 comment:

nophead said...

Hi Dimitri,
My dad had a hand cranked drill press like you described when I was a kid and it was great. I wish I still had it now.

I don't think I ever tried drilling very small holes with it but I vaguely remember it had a fly wheel on top with a big screw in the middle. The screw adjusted the force on a spring which slow the flywheel slightly. That set the feed force, so slackening it off should have fixed your problem breaking drills.